Sunday, November 09, 2008

Superstition....................

What do you get when you cross this umbrella
With a couple of sweet innocent boys?
A hard but valuable lesson about superstition!

While getting ready for church today, Zach decided he needed to get out the umbrella, as we were getting some pretty good rain in Fallon. When Dad noticed that Zach was parading around the house with the umbrella open, he felt compelled to tell Zach about the bad luck he will receive because of it being open in the house. Zach shut the umbrella down and they both kinda laughed it off. But moments later.............All heck breaks loose when Zach decides to take off running with it pointed behind Ronnie. At the same moment, Ronnie jumps around and plunged his face right into the path of the umbrella. Because of the speed they were going the tip of the umbrella rammed into his nose at least 2 inches deep (Yeah, go ahead and look at the first picture again of our beautiful model holding that umbrella with that huge tip on the top.) Zach being shocked by all the blood that immediately flows from his face, comes screaming in hysterics to find me. Nate is already taking care of Ronnie and the buckets of blood that are gushing from his nose. Between the two of them screaming and crying and the blood everywhere, I thought Ronnie had lost a limb or something. Anyway, Nate took Ronnie into the emergency room right away, while I cleaned everything up and was to meet him there. Well...upon looking high and low for the second set of keys to the other vehicle, I realized about the same time Nate did, that he was at the hospital with both sets and no cell phone......... MOM'S ARE NOT MEANT TO BE LEFT OUT OF THESE THINGS!!! Nate did call me about an hour later to tell me that they had stopped the bleeding and were waiting to get him into a CAT scan...... Three hours later they arrive home! All is well. Ronnie's nose continues to trickle blood. Emotions were very high for a while for all of us. The boys learned a couple of valuable lessons today. But I think what was the most valuable in all this was that we got to see how much these two love and care for each other. Zachary said prayers for Ronnie while he was gone and at the same time Ronnie was telling Nate, "I bet Zach says a prayer for me". Zach could not let Ronnie go to the hospital without him knowing how sorry he was, and through all the pain, Ronnie was able to let Zach know that it wasn't his fault. This bonding experience between all of us has just got me really emotional today and I wanted to share it with all of you.

So, please think twice before walking under that ladder, breaking that mirror and God forbid, opening that darn umbrella indoors!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Love the lesson learned and the bond strengthened. Thanks for sharing.

The Hansons said...

Thanks Steph!
I actually just revised the story a little bit. Nate was afraid the I hadn't emphasised the severity of the accident and the condition Ron was in. So I just tried to add my "Stephen King" twist to it.
All in all, it was a pretty traumatic event for all of us!
Malynda

Anonymous said...

What a cute blog you have! I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. This is the first time I have seen Ronnie. He is handsome and seems to fit nicely with Zach and Chloe. Man, we need to get together, our kids are growing so fast. I wish they could play more! Chloe is looking so old! Thanks for the card and $ for Lexi, she got soexcited when she opened it! Thanks for reading my blog too! Love, Ang

Liz and Michael Parrott said...

I just love reading your blog. You have this neat way of expressing things to make a person feel like they were right there in the moment. I am glad Ronnie is okay and poor Zach... Boys are certainly not so much into listening as they are into finding out for themselves. Then they realize Mom/Dad really DID know what they were talking (or shall I say "warning" them) about. Your babies are BEAUTIFUL - I know I tell you that every time I see you, but hey...