Friday, January 11, 2008







We had the pleasure of some rare pogonip this morning. This thick frost transforms the bland into the beautiful. The middle pic is sagebrush.

6 comments:

c.lynn said...

Pogonip? Does that mean frost?

pelicanl said...

I think it means GLOBAL COOLING... Won't be long and you folks will be ICE FISHING!!
Fantastic Photog

Anonymous said...

Yes pogonip is a type of frost. I gather that it's a western term for very dense freezing fog that forms in mountain valleys leaving large ice crystals on everything.

c.lynn said...

pog·o·nip [pog-uh-nip]
–noun an ice fog that forms in the mountain valleys of the western U.S.

Shoshone paγ+napp+h thunder cloud; cf. soγovaγ+napp+h fog (with soγo- earth), yaγumpaγ+nappih fog (with yaγun- valley)

I looked it up on dictionary.com

Anonymous said...

Yeah, pogo what? I think it is funny that all the comments are about that word. Are y'all trying to school us?
Those pics are just beautiful. Seeing the bright blue sky is simply marvelous!

Anonymous said...

I feel a little smarter now!